Monday, March 16, 2009

My memories of N/a'an ku se

I was searching for a more interesting, challenging and rewarding way to spend my long summer vacation. After hitting on the idea of doing some volunteer work, then narrowing it down to working with animals in Africa, I found information about the N/a’an ku sê program and decided that this was what I was looking for.

I was impressed right from the start with a hassle-free airport pick-up and drive to the farm. I was welcomed by other volunteers, with a meal and a bed waiting. Accommodation was basic with shared facilities but always clean and comfortable. Meals were good and varied. But the reason I was there was the animals.

During my stay I was hands-on with tame cheetahs, young baboons, caracals, meerkats, big and small tortoises, horses, sheep and a rather large pig. I was able to feed and walk most of these animals (no – I did not walk the tortoises but I sometimes thought this would have been more my pace!) I also participated in boundary fence walks and carnivore feeding tours which are run for Lodge guests, so you can get up-close to lions, leopards and wild dogs (although not in the same cage thank goodness). During these activities, I was able to learn a lot about the animals, their personal histories of why they were at the sanctuary, as well as general facts about the conservation of these species. Even the farm maintenance jobs were not too difficult. We also had a lot of time to relax and get to know people from all over the world.

What I didn’t expect was the great respect and friendship I developed with fellow volunteers and staff. Rhona and her team at the beautiful Guest Lodge put on fantastic special event evenings which helped bond volunteers and staff alike. Carol and Jo were exceptional as volunteer coordinators. They were so friendly and organised, but still easy-going and open to the fact that although volunteers were there to work, we were also there to have a good time. The local bushman workers were wonderfully warm, knowledgeable and helpful, despite the language barrier.

But the highlight of my stay was joining the research program run by Flo and Cila. Not only did I learn about spoor tracking and trapping animals, but I was fortunate to spend two weeks at the cheetah and leopard release site in southern Namibia – a remote and beautiful area of the world. I would recommend this experience to anyone – and you could not find better people to be with than Flo and Cila. They are a credit to their profession and made the whole experience life-changing.

Since my return home, I have donated money towards the cost of GPS collars in order to make tracking and data collection of released cheetahs and leopards more accurate and easier (thank goodness). I would highly recommend volunteering at Naankuse, and for those ex-volunteers wanting to continue their involvement, remember that all donated money and goods, however small, goes towards the welfare and survival of the local people and animals. To Rudie and Marlice and all the Naankuse crew, I say thank you for allowing me to share in your dream.

I’ll be returning to Naankuse in August – what will you be doing?
Tracey Dunstan, UK

No comments:

Post a Comment